Importance of a Data Management Plan
A data management plan helps you:
- increase impact and visibility of your research with data citation
- document and provide evidence for your research in conjunction with published results
- comply with funding mandates, and meet copyright and ethical compliance requirements
- preserve data for the long-term, safeguards your investment from loss
- share your data with others, benefiting interdisciplinary research and others to build on your work
Learn more about the additional benefits to industry and other external partners when you share your data.
Funding agencies now require researchers to provide a data management plan as part of their funding proposals.
The Data Management Planning Tool developed by a group of major U.S. research institutions, offers ready-to-use templates to create data management plans for the NSF, NIH, NEH, NOAA, GBMF and IMLS. To get started, click here, select Cal Poly as your institution, and log in using your Cal Poly username and password.
The Robert E. Kennedy Library can provide consultative services to help campus researchers share, reuse, manage or archive their data. Contact Marisa Ramirez, Digital Scholarship Services Librarian, to set up an appointment.