Welcome to the COSAM Senior Projects Research Guide!
This guide includes information and materials to help write your your senior project or project proposal: searching for senior projects, writing a literature review, submitting your senior project, and more...
What is a Literature Review?
A literature review is a written account providing an overview of all the important literature related to a particular topic. It is an essential part of any research publication, dissertation or thesis. It also can be a stand-alone document.
The literature review is designed to do several things:
- Discover what is known (or not known) about a topic or research question.
- Determine the current status of the research on a topic or research question.
- Situate your topic or research question into the context of related research and information.
- Provide an understanding of the methodologies used in researching related questions.
- Identify areas for further study.
Steps in the Literature Review Process
The literature review involves a systematic process.
The steps in this process include:
- Defining the topic or problem.
- Searching the literature.
- Reading and evaluating the information you find.
- Analyzing, comparing, relating, critiquing and synthesizing the information.
- Correctly citing the information included in the literature review.
Literature Review Manuals, Proposal Writing Guides, etc.
Search for Senior Projects
Senior Project Documentation
Senior projects are digitally deposited and made publicly available in the DigitalCommons@CalPoly, the University's repository for scholarship created by Cal Poly faculty and students.
Each department, school, and professor have their own requirements, expectations, and timelines regarding senior projects. Students should consult with their faculty advisors on specific academic department policies and procedures regarding wheter to submit their senior project to the library.
Learn more about about submitting your senior project to the library and keep up to date on senior project submission guidelines, dates, and general information through the Senior Project Facebook Page.