Welcome to the COSAM Senior Projects Research Guide!
This guide includes information and materials to help write your your senior project or project proposal: searching for senior projects, writing a literature review, submitting your senior project, and more...
Visit COSAM Research Central or Education Research Central for subject specific research guides with lists of the best Library resources in each area of study and an excellent starting point for your research project.
Search for Senior Projects
Literature Review Activity
What is a Literature Review?
A literature review is a written account providing an overview of all the important literature related to a particular topic. It is an essential part of any research publication, dissertation or thesis. It also can be a stand-alone document.
The literature review is designed to do several things:
- Discover what is known (or not known) about a topic or research question.
- Determine the current status of the research on a topic or research question.
- Situate your topic or research question into the context of related research and information.
- Provide an understanding of the methodologies used in researching related questions.
- Identify areas for further study.
Steps in the Literature Review Process
The literature review involves a systematic process.
The steps in this process include:
- Defining the topic or problem.
- Searching the literature.
- Reading and evaluating the information you find.
- Analyzing, comparing, relating, critiquing and synthesizing the information.
- Correctly citing the information included in the literature review.